New Kitten Checklist: An Easy Guide to Preparing For Your New Furry Buddy!
Congrats on your new furry family member!
Before you bring home the little bundle of fur, there are some tried-and-true steps you can take to be prepared for all fun and chaos of a new kitten. Follow our New Kitten Checklist and you’ll be as prepared as you possibly can be:
Breaking down the New Kitten Checklist:
- A Kitten by Any Other Name: You’re going to need a name! The most popular pet names include Luna and Oliver, but you can always stand out with names like Fluffernutter or Google!
- Kitten Proof Your Home: From removing toxic foods, plants, and cleaning supplies from paw’s reach, to setting up scratching posts by the couch before you bring your new cat home is a great way to keep your sanity…as well as keeping your cat safe.
- Do Your Research: Read up on kittens and cats! We like Complete Kitten Care by Amy Shojai.
- Go Shopping: You’re going to need new kitty stuff! Kittens need food and water bowls, bedding, toys, kitten chow, a collar, identification (i.e. tags), a travel carrier, and grooming supplies (brush, nail clippers, toothbrush). Make your life easier and bring a new pet shopping list with you to the pet store.
- Make a Vet Appointment: As soon as your kitten gets home, make an appointment with your vet for their first checkup. Check out the Humane Society’s guidelines on choosing a vet, if you’re not sure how to do so. While you’re there, make sure you microchip (and register) your pet as well.
- Enroll in Pet Insurance: Kittens can be enrolled as early as eight weeks. The earlier you get cat insurance the better: getting coverage before your cat gets sick means you won’t have to worry about pre-existing conditions, which aren’t covered by any insurance provider. Plus, you’ll be protecting your savings from clumsy accidents (which kittens are great at).
- All the Bells and Whistles: Sign up for a kitty subscription box like KitNipBox!
And finally – enjoy it! They’re only kittens for so long. Those sweet, sleepy little buddies grow up fast!